Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 10:20:09PM -0600, David Welton wrote:
> > > Uh - you are taking this out of context, I think.  The Open and NetBSD
> > > people have some personal 'issues' with each other.  OpenBSD is a
> > > forked NetBSD, infact.  I wouldn't consider it a given that NetBSD
> > > would treat us the same way, if we treated them with respect.
> >
> > I don't think so..  The NetBSD people would have the same personal
> > "issues" with a GNU userspace version of their work...
>
> Please read this before you continue.
>
> http://www.theos.com/deraadt/coremail
>
> The Open/Net BSD split goes well beyond technical issues.

Um, as I said the reason I was told to expect direct attempts to sabotage
the effort is the GPL.  Most BSD people have a problem with the GPL and
the GNU software.  NetBSD people seem to have a problem with the GPL and
anything not part of 4.4BSD being part of the "operating system" release.

Regardless of personal issues involved with {Net,Open}BSD, the NetBSD
people would not be supportive of an effort to create a GNU-based OS
around their kernel.

--
"There are 3 things to remember about being a Starship Captain:
 Keep your shirt tucked in, go down with the ship, and never,