Re: Debian/GNU Freebsd

On Thu, Feb 18, 1999 at 11:57:42PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:

> I fail to see what it buys us.  Really, what?

 - a new toy for interested people to play with

 - more experience porting to quite different systems (is likely to lead
   to a generic, re-usable solution rather than just a kludge to make it
   work)

 - a bridge between the *BSD and Linux worlds...depending on whether
   their reaction is "somebody wants to play with our stuff...cool!" or
   "how dare those barbarians pervert our precious code".

 - a platform for benchmarking the differences between linux and *bsd.
   if you're testing the same version of debian on linux and on *bsd,
   on exactly the same hardware then any differences in performance or
   stability are (probably) due to the kernel.

 - more variety, more options.

craig

--
craig sanders