Re: [RfS] Request for Submissions: Upcoming Debian Logo

Chris Waters wrote:
> Martin Schulze wrote:
>
> [a bunch of stuff I agree with, except]
>
> >  . A logo is NOT a set of letters.  Thus the string "Debian" rendered
> >    very nice is ... a picture but not a logo.  Forget that.
>
> Um, IBM's logo is just letters.  Sun's logo is, well, just letters,
> technically.  I wouldn't rule out a logo based on letters, but it should
> *be* a logo, which most of the entries in the GIMP contest aren't.

These are exceptions.  I know that there are some.  I wouldn't call
that IBM a logo, but it's a recognizable letterset.  The Sun logo
is different.  Like Ean's synthesized DG it consists of letters but
is designed in a artificial (might be the wrong word) fashion which
judges it as logo.

Nontheless, I might not be precise in this case.  My idea behind this
paragraph was to remove all these "[Penguin]Debian", "Debia[G]n[U]"
and stuff which only consist of a rendered and ordered set of letters.

Regards,

	Joey

--
We all know Linux is great... it does infinite loops in 5 seconds.
        - Linus Torvalds