Re: RFC: new network config

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:51:12 +0000, Christian Hammers <ch@lathspell.westend.com> said:
> This is the second beta <g> of the /etc/interfaces
> /etc/init.d/interfaces /etc/routes /etc/inid.d/routes scripts.

> For those who did not read this thread: These scripts should come
> into netbase to provide a common place where network devices can be
> inserted and get started.

> The following things are yet provided or still missing: + loopback
> interfaces + ethernet interfaces + inet + dhcp - inet6 - ipx -
> packet radio stuff (ehh, help me !)  + reading all kindes of routes
> from /etc/routes

I'm sorry I don't already know the answer, but I was wondering if you
proposed system supported the following features.  IMHO, these
features are *required* for any re-work of the network configuration system:

 * integrates with PCMCIA stuff (i.e., /etc/pcmcia/network.opts)

 * allows for roving profiles (mobile computers)

 * allows/enables large-scale configuration managment (i.e.,
   server-side control of client network values, i.e., DHCPd et al)