Re: RFC: new network config (was: Re: network configuration)

On Fri, Feb 05, 1999 at 12:13:23PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> >> "CS" == Craig Sanders <cas@taz.net.au> writes:
> CS> #IP:domain:username:CGI?:Analog?
> CS> x.x.x.x:www.foo.bar:foobar:Y:Y
> Isn´t the colon used in IPv6 addresses? Maybe my memory serves me
> wrong.

It doesn't. It's *probably* still possible to parse it unambiguously
even so, but I wouldn't like to try it.

I personally think the space delimeted style of fstab and friends looks
better, but if I can get away with not having to write this, I'm not
going to complain too much however it ends up. :)

One note though -- I'm probably going to be a little bit reticent over
adding things like completely automated httpd.conf generation. First,
because that's really apache (and netgod's) business, not netbase's,
and second because I don't want to make a system that while it makes the
normal jobs trivial (eg, setting up a virtual host), makes the harder
jobs (eg, setting up a virtual host with foo extra, non-standard settings)
even worse (eg, by making you add your changes to httpd.conf every time you
upgrade netbase or some such).

I don't think the latter concern is insurmountable by any means, however.

Cheers,
aj