Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

Ben Collins wrote:
> What we need is to not have infinite numbers of libgtk1.1.x libs in the
> distribution. Stick with libgtk1.1 and use shlibs to ensure things get
> recompiled against them. I would much rather have one lib and many
> programs that break on the next release than tons of libs _and_ still
> many broken programs as well as a mess on my system.

Why can't libgtk just have a shlibs file that generates dependancies like:

Depends: libgtk1.1 (>= current_version), libgtk1.1 (<< next_upstream_version)

All this requires is guessing what next_upstream_version will be. It will
cause some unnecessary overly strict dependancies, but it will ensure no
packages ever break when you upgrade libgtk1.1.

--
see shy jo