Re: Gnome to be removed from debian?

On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> I'm sorry but it is simply not acceptable to gripe about bugs in alpha
> software. Especially *free* alpha software. Reporting them is fine,
> griping is not.
>
> Even though I'm quite sure you're right that this has been broken in some
> of the tarballs.

Why exactly are we distributing what amounts to weekly snapshots in the
main distribution? Maybe you guys should lobby for a snapshots dist for
truely unstable stuff like this.

It is really lame to have a working X app, upgrade to potato and find it
stops working and there is no fix available because some gnome guy doesn't
bother with alpha shared library versions.

I would almost propose that we disallow 'alpha' libraries from entering
the main distribution, perhaps providing some other venues for them (like
experimental was supposed to be). If the upstream author cannot be
bothered to keep the soname rational then I don't see why we should bother
to include it in our primary distribution.

That said, if amongst the gnome packagers they come up with a
forwards/backwards compatible set of libraries and applications from a
given snapshot then that as a whole could migrate over into potato. If
necessary the gnome packagers would tweak sonames to achieve this (it is
after all alpha software)

Jason