Re: Versioned provides ... a necessity !

On Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 06:30:11PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
<snip>
> > > Unless we agree to always use the latest perl ...
> >
> > Use the latest perl for???
>
> For making our distribution ! I would not like to see that Debian 3.0 does
> provide perl5.004, perl5.005, perl5.006 with all perl modules beeing packaged
> three times too.

I would however like to see Debian 3.0 coming with, at the least,
perl5.005, perl5.006, and the threaded versions for both as well..

It is then up to the module package maintainers to decide what versions
of perl to package for..

However, generally, its usually best to use the latest version and
provide legacy support for the older versions..

> > If you need a specific perl then you use the perl5.005 binary directly,
> > or the like...
> >
> > (You also have the perl methods for version handling)
>
> Your solutions won't work the same way :
> - having #!/usr/bin/perl5.005 with a correct dependencies would work
> - having a 'require 5.005' in the perl script would break it if
>   /usr/bin/perl changes.

Yes, true, but its also true to have perl do different things when its
run under different versions, however, for most things, using a specific
binary would be what you need..

> > Why should Debian specific perl modules be any different?
>
> They are probably more critical than others for the administration of
> a Debian system.

Yes, and as such should depend on the version of perl which it was made
for, and should probably go into a versioned directory..

> > Also keep in mind that for the system critical ones I would /much/ prefer
> > have them depend on a old version of perl then risk things trying to use
> > them with a version of perl which they don't work with, screwing the
> > system...
>
> Are you speaking of scripts or modules ? It's up to the script to decide
> wich perl to use.

Both, see above..

Zephaniah E. Hull..

--