Re: Versioned provides ... a necessity !

On Wed, 10 Feb 1999, Raphael Hertzog wrote:

> Le Wed, Feb 10, 1999 at 08:55:21AM +0000, Jules Bean écrivait:
> > This seems like a good answer to me.
>
> But not to me. This would mean that i'll have to maintain more than one
> package for a simple perl module. Unless we agree to always use the
> latest perl ... which does mean that renaming perl to perl5.005 is not
> useful[1]. What I think is that :
> - Debian specific perl module (ie DebianNet.pm, DpkgFtp.pm, others
>   modules like that) should go to a non-versionned directories (ie
>   /usr/lib/perl5/Debian), and perl should always have this directory
>   at the end of @INC.
> - binary perl module should always use versionned directories.
> - non-binary perl module ? I don't know. Non binary-perl modules can
>   also break with perl-thread (ie some are not thread-safe) but I
>   don't see this a necessity for a versionned directories.

This is an upstream problem.  Unless we really want to take flak, we have
to use the upstream solution.

For their own reaons, which are opaque to me [but are almost certainly
documented somewhere - try perl5-porters] upstream has decided to change
the path-names.  They've done this because they think most modules won't
continute to work, I imagine.  So we shouldn't defy their policy.

I think I read somewhere that this irritating change will be the last, and
they now have a sufficiently structured directory system that they can
only rename directories henceforth when an API really has changed.

> Over that another problem is that we'll possibly provide perl-thread
> and that binary perl module should be available both for the threaded
> and non-threaded version. But that's not a big problem, perl-thread
> can provide perl5.005-thread and binary perl module for the threaded perl
> can depend on it.

Nod.  Although this is getting irritating, I admit.

I'm sure there's an idea burrowing away at the back of my head about how
to solve all these problems (including the gtk version one), but I can't
quite see it..

> I'll probably write a script cpan2deb for helping debianizing perl
> modules. This would ease the repackaging of binary perl modules that
> will have to provide threaded and non-threaded binaries.

Manoj, who, AFAICR, is away right, has already written one, but not
released it.

Jules