Re: Versioned provides ... a necessity !

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 09:51:01PM +0100, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i'm testing perl5.005 on my machine (cf .deb files on Darren's ftp
> site : ftp://ftp.daft.com/pub/debian/experimental/) and the
> first problem I had was that one of my package was broken because it
> does depend on data-dumper (>= 2.08) but there's no more data-dumper
> package because the new perl package does provide it. I'll correct
> my package so that it does work but the best thing would be to
> have a versionned provide (Provides: data-dumper (= 2.10)).
>
> Furthermore, for binary perl module that will be installed under
> versionned directories, they may have to depend on perl5.005 (a virtual
> package that the perl package provides). That's a good solution but
> then you cannot have versionned dependencies on perl5.005 ...

The answer is simple, and quite clear..

Make a virtual package, 'perl', which a package, 'perl5.005', provides..

It should also not have a perl binary, but instead use the alternatives
to handle it, the reason being that if done properly we can then have a
perl5.006 package which can coexist with perl5.005, etc..

Yes, this will require a bit more work at the start, but the changes
were made upstream for this purpose, and I can't see any reason not to
do this for debian..

> I'm just posting that to show that it's an important issue for dpkg. :-)

Versioned provides would be a very nice thing, and would allow versioned
depends on the 'perl' virtual package..

Zephaniah E. Hull.

--
 PGP EA5198D1-Zephaniah E, Hull <warp@whitestar.soark.net>-GPG E65A7801