Re: xlib6g now depends on xfree86-common (?)

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 10:47:15AM -0600, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
> Santiago, I really hope you are not proposing to remove that dependency.
> Did you take a look at xfree86-common's filelist?
>
> * A bunch of directories. Some programs don't work if those directories
>   doesn't exist.  Which programs? The programs that depend on xlib6g.
Most programs that you want to run to display on a remote X server do not.

> * /etc/X11/Xsession and /etc/X11/Xresources/.  The first one loads the
>   resources.  There's some code in xlib6g to use X resources.
You won't need those for a remote display.

> * A few _important_ docs.  If a program depends on xlib6g it's because it
>   will use X somehow.  If it uses X, I HOPE the user is willing to READ a
>   few docs.  If they don't read the docs, it's their problem, we can't do
>   anything about that.
They are on the remote machine then.

> Except in a handful of situations, X won't run at all if xfree86-common is
> not installed.
But you may not want to run X on that machine. Maybe it's a headless server.
You may however want to run rxvt and direct the output to your local X
display at your workstation.

Nils

--
Plug-and-Play is really nice, unfortunately it only works 50% of the time.
To be specific the "Plug" almost always works.            --unknown source