Re: xlib6g now depends on xfree86-common (?)

On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 07:11:34PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> On Tue, 9 Feb 1999, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 09, 1999 at 04:44:44PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:
> >
> > > It has come to my attention that the new xlib6g base now depends on
> > > xfree86-common.
> > >
> > > I think this dependency is artificial, because of two reasons:
> >
> > Santiago, I really hope you are not proposing to remove that dependency.
> > Did you take a look at xfree86-common's filelist?
> >
> > * A bunch of directories. Some programs don't work if those directories
> >   doesn't exist.  Which programs? The programs that depend on xlib6g.
>
> This is the point.
>
> Do you guarantee that *every* program will break if those directories do
> not exist?
>
> If there is a single program that does not break, the dependency is
> artificial and we should allow every package to depend on xfree86-common,
> on xlib6g, or both, in an independent fashion.

That is probably one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard. I don't
think it's gonna kill anyone to install xfree86-common. Look at what you are
saying. Do you think people are gonna get pissed cause they have to install
a measly 100k package? No. However, I can see plenty of people being angry
because some random X app doesn't work because some directories are missing.
Now you say we could just make all the packages depend on xfree86-common,
are you crazy or do you just want to make everyones job that much harder?