mutt and arrow keys

I have the newest mutt from potato, but still have a problem with it
that I have since some time now: When I connect to the server using
xterm via ppp from my machine at home, mutt can not handle it
correctly, if I press an arrow key (eg. up and down to browse
e-mails). When I press one of the arrow buttons, mutt just beeps. If I
press it several times, mutt beeps first, but then moves the
cursor. When I want to change the subject of an e-mail, and press the
left arrow, mutt also beeps, and prints [[D where the first [ is
colored red.

Any idea what that could be?

Stef