Re: Logo contest - `MUST be manipulated entirely in the GIMP'

Well, lets put it this way. You are pretty much insuring that the logo will
not be designed by someone with a strong design background.

Fundamentally, a logotype is a piece of vector artwork. It would probably
be built in a vector oriented editing environment like Adobe Illustrator.
You usually wouldn't use Photoshop to build a logo. There is not really a
piece of free vector editing software that provides something even remotely
equivalent to an Illustrator type package.

In general, a logo should not use shades of gray or halftones. It should
be suitable for reproduction in small sizes in mediums that do not provide
good reproduction of halftones. Typical examples would be embossing the
logo into pens, paper, coins or other mediums as well as screen printing
onto some problematic surfaces at small sizes.

So, I think that limiting the design tools to free software systems is
going to give you something similar to the xfig penguin.