Re: Logo contest - `MUST be manipulated entirely in the GIMP'

On Thu, Feb 04, 1999 at 01:53:48PM -0600, Ean R . Schuessler wrote:

> Fundamentally, a logotype is a piece of vector artwork. It would probably
> be built in a vector oriented editing environment like Adobe Illustrator.
> You usually wouldn't use Photoshop to build a logo. There is not really a
> piece of free vector editing software that provides something even remotely
> equivalent to an Illustrator type package.

As Ben says, I wouldn't want to see the logo designed using a non-free
product on a non-free OS.  That plays funny tricks with your moral stance.

In the free software world, GIMP is the only real option at the moment.

> In general, a logo should not use shades of gray or halftones. It should
> be suitable for reproduction in small sizes in mediums that do not provide
> good reproduction of halftones. Typical examples would be embossing the
> logo into pens, paper, coins or other mediums as well as screen printing
> onto some problematic surfaces at small sizes.

As far as I know, the Linux penguin, FreeBSD daemon, slashdot.org logo,
gnome footprint, and probably even the current Debian logo are not vector
based and use halftones/blends/gradients.  Those are all popular logos that
don't have 50% of people saying "my god, that chicken is ugly!"  I say if it
works for them, it can work for Debian.

Realistically, Debian won't be printing on pens, paper, coins, or rocks.
It's CD covers and web pages, really, and bitmaps (albeit high resolution
ones in the case of CD covers) work fine and look better for both.

Have fun,

Avery