Re: Getting Slink compatible with Linux-2.2.0

On Wed, Jan 27, 1999 at 10:27:15PM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:

> Six orders of magnitude??  In the unlikely event that my 100 MHz SDRAM can
> really handle 32 bits (4 bytes) per cycle, then it can transfer 400
> megabytes per second.  It's not REALLY that fast, but I'll give it the
> benefit of the doubt.

 Let me note I was replying in the context of huge swap files on huge hard
 disks.

 Tim's (and I think Ben also) example is the best one in this case: the seek
 time for a hard disk (~ ms) vs the access time for ram (~ ns) suddenly
 become important when you are talking about ~ GB of RAM.  If you are
 talking about big databases where access is basically random, access time
 can become a serious bottleneck.

 But my original comment was posted because of someone's intention to put
 util-linux 2.9g on slink to get it "in sync" with 2.2 kernels (> 128 MB
 swap on a single partition) so this is rather off-topic.

							Marcelo