Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

On 23-Jan-99, 14:11 (CST), Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com> wrote:
> Jonathan P Tomer <phouchg@cif.rochester.edu> wrote:
> > why not just have dummy packages delete themselves in postinst, if we're
> > going to use them?
>
> That can be done.. but it's not quite so simple (dpkg isn't re-entrant
> unless the nested invocations are read-only).

Why are we going to this trouble? If you want to rename package a1 to a2,
simply make a2 conflict and replace a1 -- dselect or dpkg will do
the rest. If you want to make 'upgrade' automatic, then you'll also
need to upload a new version of the a1 package (empty would seem to
be feasible) that depends upon a2.

And yes, I just tried this. It works, using dselect with the apt method
anyway. I installed a version of a1 that did not require a2, and then
created a new version of a1 that did, and then add a local archive that
had both the new version of a1 and a2 in it to my apt sources.list file.
Dselect->update,select,install worked just fine.

Also went back to the original a1, and ran dpkg --install a1.deb a2.deb.
That also worked.

There's no need to make the dummy packages do anything. In particular,
the xfonts-* packages already have the necessary replaces/conflicts. The
only thing necessary is to upload new xfnt-* packages with the necessary
depends. Branden has indicated that he's not interested in doing that.

Steve