Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

> This means that we're willing to hold off on upgrades to all font packages
> until the relevant apt support for package renaming is ready.
>
> I just hope the rest of the world agrees that this is wise.
it's not. i'm new here, so i'm not sure if this is an old topoic or not, but
debian distributions can get really out of date as it is. xfree86 3.3.3 has
been out since november... it's not on slink, and it had some *major*
advantages (my display card, for instance) while remaining to my knowledge
completely backwards compatible with 3.3.2. if an elegant solution to the
problem is impossible, and for the immedieate future it is, better have an
ugly hack that will work until we fix the problem *without* depending on
software not changing or an earthquake wiping out all debian systems causing
them to need to start from scratch anyway or any equally unlikely assumption.
in short: ass-ugly is better than either broken or uselessly out of date.

> [What's wrong with using the "empty package" mechanism, and waiting for
> apt to give us a way of making defunct empty packages delete themselves?]
why not just have dummy packages delete themselves in postinst, if we're
going to use them?

the real solution of course is to add a Replaces: or some such to dpkg,
because it really does happen that things change names as they evolve.

--phouchg, phouchg@cif.rochester.edu
The reader this signature encounters not failing to understand is cursed.