Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> wrote:
> Because it's such a widespread problem, we can assume that Debian 2.2's
> version of APT will support package renaming in some way.  That means we can
> actually put off solving this problem until Debian 2.2, and even longer if
> the X fonts don't change.

This means that we're willing to hold off on upgrades to all font packages
until the relevant apt support for package renaming is ready.

I just hope the rest of the world agrees that this is wise.

[What's wrong with using the "empty package" mechanism, and waiting for
apt to give us a way of making defunct empty packages delete themselves?]

--
Raul