Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

On Sat, Jan 23, 1999 at 12:03:55PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:

> Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@worldvisions.ca> wrote:
> > Because it's such a widespread problem, we can assume that Debian 2.2's
> > version of APT will support package renaming in some way.  That means we can
> > actually put off solving this problem until Debian 2.2, and even longer if
> > the X fonts don't change.
>
> This means that we're willing to hold off on upgrades to all font packages
> until the relevant apt support for package renaming is ready.

Sure, why not?  Nothing in them has changed.

> I just hope the rest of the world agrees that this is wise.

Uh... yeah, me too.

> [What's wrong with using the "empty package" mechanism, and waiting for
> apt to give us a way of making defunct empty packages delete themselves?]

I didn't think there was any plan to add "auto-delete defunct empty package"
support to APT; on the other hand, I've seen lots of package renaming
proposals.

Besides, if the empty packages are unnecessary, why should we have them
crowding things?

Have fun,

Avery