Re: the Great X Reorganization, package splits, and renaming

On Fri, Jan 22, 1999 at 03:18:51PM +0100, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > Still, it is advisable to install the renamed versions of these packages
> > as soon as is convenient, in the event that their contents do change in
> > the future.
>
> This would just postpone the problem until there is a real difference
> between the old packages and the new ones, but would not make the
> problem to disappear. It would be just a clock bomb. Imagine the following
> scenario:
>
> --Oh, I upgraded from Debian 2.1 to Debian 2.2 and now my font packages
> do not work.
>
> --Did you read the release notes for the X packages in Debian 2.1.

Because it's such a widespread problem, we can assume that Debian 2.2's
version of APT will support package renaming in some way.  That means we can
actually put off solving this problem until Debian 2.2, and even longer if
the X fonts don't change.

To put it another way:

	- Upgrading from old-Debian to 2.1 doesn't replace the font
	  packages, but that doesn't cause an immediate problem;

	- If Debian 2.2 doesn't have new or rearranged fonts, there is still
	  no problem;

	- If Debian 2.2 _does_ rearrange the font packages, it should
	  implement some package renaming scheme at _that_ time, assuming
	  APT or dselect has been improved with a nice renaming scheme.

Why make things ugly before there's an actual reason to do so?

Have fun,

Avery