Re: Intent to package cygnus-stylesheets

Adam Di Carlo <adam@onshore.com> writes:

> >Essentially, Cygnus has forked the code.
>
> Huh.

That might be a bit strong - I haven't really looked into the
differences in depth.  They are being maintained separately, and they
are tracking Norm Walsh's stuff.

> I understand that Gnome needs db2* scripts... why do they need the Cygnus
> stylesheets?

They use them internally at Cygnus for their documentation.  They are
unsupported for outside use.

Don't ask me why Gnome decided to use them.  I suppose it's because
Mark Galassi is helping out with the docs.

> >> Please patch from the potato docbook-stylesheets if you could.
> >
> >You are asking me to merge two upstream packages which have forked.
> >That's a big job.  People have been jumping up and down on me for
> >weeks to get Gnome out.
>
> Maybe you could point me to the sources and I could whip it up pretty
> quick.  Or give me what you're working on.

That would be great!

> To be honest, there's absolutely no reason the two forks of the
> stylesheets have to conflict.  They should be able to co-exist fine.

The only reason I made them conflict is because they both register
Norm Walsh's stylesheets.  I'm not sure how much Cygnus tweaked their
version.  It could be quite a bit since they are using it for internal
use.  Maybe there would be little difference if we used the "real"
Norm Walsh ones instead?  Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to
experiment at the moment.

I've put the package up at:

  ftp://ftp.jimpick.com/pub/tmp/adam/

I didn't put a lot of effort into it.  I just tried to get it to work
like the RPM does.

Cheers,

 - Jim