Re: FWD: RMS and Debian on his Toshiba

Enrique Zanardi wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 01:59:16PM +0200, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> > I agree.
> > I am at this moment trying to compile a kernet to boot a thinkpad 600
> > which doesn't boot with new bootdisks.
>
> I don't remember seeing your bug report... may you explain me what's
> going wrong?

If the new bootdisks aren't zImage kernel images, that's the problems.
Thinkpads (the 600s, at least) won't boot a bzImage kernel, period.
And, IIRC, the default debian kernel is too big to fit on a zImage ...
so compiling a Thinkpad-600-specific kernel (which contains a few other
tweaks, like the APM_NOINTS define to make suspend/resume work) is
usually the best option.  FWIW, I run a Thinkpad 600 here and would be
glad to upload a debian package of a working Thinkpad-600-specific
kernel ... it works like a dream if you put the right drivers in.
However, I'm not (yet) a registered developer (no, I haven't applied,
either, although I lurk a fair bit), so ... if anyone wants it, I'll be
glad to send it.  (I'm running 2.0.35 at the moment, but I have 2.0.36
and 2.2.0-pre5ac1 compiled <or compiling :> and I at least know that
2.0.36 works.)  Lemme know.  This sorta thing pops up fairly frequently
on the linux-laptop list, so maybe having some hardware-specific
maintainers for custom bootdisks isn't such a bad idea.  I know Debian
was a nightmare to install until I got the right kernel configuration.
(Wouldn't even boot any of the boot disks off the 'net, etc ...)

--
Anderson MacKay <mackay@rice.edu>