Re: FWD: RMS and Debian on his Toshiba

On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 11:23:14AM -0500, Anderson MacKay wrote:
> Enrique Zanardi wrote:
> >
> > On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 01:59:16PM +0200, Fabrizio Polacco wrote:
> > > I agree.
> > > I am at this moment trying to compile a kernet to boot a thinkpad 600
> > > which doesn't boot with new bootdisks.
> >
> > I don't remember seeing your bug report... may you explain me what's
> > going wrong?
>
> If the new bootdisks aren't zImage kernel images, that's the problems.
> Thinkpads (the 600s, at least) won't boot a bzImage kernel, period.

That's why the old bootdisks had two different "flavors", "normal"
rescue and drivers disks and "tecra" ones. The "tecra" ones used a
different kernel, zImage, with a few other patches.

> And, IIRC, the default debian kernel is too big to fit on a zImage ...

"But it moves!". kernel-image-2.0.36 is a zImage kernel.
boot-floppies_2.1.4 uses that one (that's why there's no "tecra" flavor
now).

> so compiling a Thinkpad-600-specific kernel (which contains a few other
> tweaks, like the APM_NOINTS define to make suspend/resume work) is
> usually the best option.

What's wrong with using the "tecra" boot floppies?

--
Enrique Zanardi					   ezanardi@ull.es