Re: Release-critical Bugreport for January 7, 1999

On Thu, 7 Jan 1999, Marcelo E. Magallon wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 12:15:08AM -0600, BugScan reporter wrote:
>
> > Package: dpkg (main)
> > Maintainer: Klee Dienes and Ian Jackson <dpkg-maint@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
> >   20401  Problems updating bo -> hamm
>
> How is this release critical for slink? Report says:
>
>    An update from bo to hamm using dselect fails with "too many errors"
>    because dselect installs and configures packages in the wrong order, so
>    that several preinst-scripts that depend on newer versions of other
>    packages still find the bo versions installed. (netbase/netstd is one of
>    these pairs).
>
>    A second install-run removes most of these problems, but it takes a
>    very long time since most packages are again replaced by the same
>    versions.
>
> we all agree this is not fixable in dpkg alone [...]

This is not true, or you have not understand the bug.

There is a hardcoded number "20" in dpkg code.
After 20 "errors", dpkg *aborts*. I don't think this is a good reason
to abort the install.

I even submitted a patch for this, but it has not been applied yet :-(

Release-critical or not, this is very easy to fix, and will improve the
upgrade process *greatly* so why it can't be fixed right now?

--
 "a61fc14a1d2593c85b78e0a0be140e12" (a truly random sig)