Re: Release-critical Bugreport for January 7, 1999

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 12:15:08AM -0600, BugScan reporter wrote:

> Package: boot-floppies (main)
> Maintainer: Enrique Zanardi <debian-boot@lists.debian.org>
>   30759  [fixed in 2.1.4] No support for FAT32 in boot floppies

AFAIC see 2.1.4 is already installed.

> Package: dpkg (main)
> Maintainer: Klee Dienes and Ian Jackson <dpkg-maint@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>   20401  Problems updating bo -> hamm

How is this release critical for slink? Report says:

   An update from bo to hamm using dselect fails with "too many errors"
   because dselect installs and configures packages in the wrong order, so
   that several preinst-scripts that depend on newer versions of other
   packages still find the bo versions installed. (netbase/netstd is one of
   these pairs).

   A second install-run removes most of these problems, but it takes a
   very long time since most packages are again replaced by the same
   versions.

we all agree this is not fixable in dpkg alone (apt handles this, that means
the probability of fixing this is close to the probability of finding a
whale floating in the air 10 km above sea level)

> Package: dpkg-dev (main)
> Maintainer: Klee Dienes and Ian Jackson <dpkg-maint@chiark.greenend.org.uk>
>   31508  parsechangelog broken?

Ajem... why is this release critical? (the report is vague -- it provides a
patch, but it's vague nonetheless) ... ah, ok, I see the reason: ports (some
package can't be built from sources)

> Package: jdk1.1 (non-free)
> Maintainer: Stephen Zander <gibreel@debian.org>
>   24062  jdk1.1-runtime: jreman bad link
>   27330  jdk1.1: Files should be conffiles

Let's make our mind here: are non-free reports 'release critical' or not?

> Package: libpng2 (main)
> Maintainer: Philippe Troin <phil@fifi.org>
>   28412  libpng2: libpng 1.0.2 broken for some files

I think Vincent uploaded a fixed version, didn't he?

> Package: xdm (main)
> Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>   29360  xdm: Stopped X without warning/asking

I'm going to keep saying this...  Branden said this can't be fixed.  PUT A
WARNING IN THE RELEASE NOTES!!!

  When upgrading from versions of X before the great reorganization, there
  is no way to prevent xdm from being stopped without somehow replacing
  /var/lib/dpkg/info/xbase.prerm before doing anything else.  The old xbase
  prerm unconditionally stops xdm and xfs.

  This unconditional stoppage is what the new xdm package is trying to
  address. But people will still get bitten by it one last time as they move
  to the new version. I cannot regard this as a fixable bug.

> Package: xserver-common (main)
> Maintainer: Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org>
>   29166  xserver-common: should depend or at least recommend properly ver'd xlib6g

/me thinks 3.3.2.3a-8pre9v2 (or something like that) fixes this.  Wichert,
could you please mark this [FIX] so people can focus on non-fixed bugs?

							Marcelo