Re: Inefficient apt installs

On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:
>
> > A quick look at dependencies doesn't seem to require this
> > behavior. This was all from slink, btw. apt 0.1.9.
>
> The packages you mention are all essential packages and may be implicitly
> required by the postinst scripts of other packages.

However, most of the essential packages will work just fine as soon as
the shared libraries they depend on are installed and configured.

Let's take an example: gzip is essential, and it predepends on libc6.
But gzip.postinst just registers the info. I would say that only the
executables in /usr/bin are the "essential" part of gzip.

I think apt could be wasting a considerable amount of time because of
its "ultraconservative" way of upgrading.

Of course, we would have to take a look at all the other essential
packages to see whether they are like gzip or not.

Thanks.

--
 "a8d5544c9bdaa3d0ab872cee2aa80df9" (a truly random sig)