Re: Inefficient apt installs

On 08-Jan-99, 06:54 (CST), Santiago Vila <sanvila@unex.es> wrote:
> On Wed, 6 Jan 1999, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> > The packages you mention are all essential packages and may be implicitly
> > required by the postinst scripts of other packages.
>
> However, most of the essential packages will work just fine as soon as
> the shared libraries they depend on are installed and configured.
>
> Let's take an example: gzip is essential, and it predepends on libc6.
> But gzip.postinst just registers the info. I would say that only the
> executables in /usr/bin are the "essential" part of gzip.

The trouble is that it there is no reasonable way for apt to distinguish
between something like gzip and something that is really broken unless
the postinst runs. We'd have to add yet another category.

Annoying as it is to watch dpkg install packages one at a time when I
*know* it's not necessary, I'd rather have apt do the safe thing rather
than break my system.

Hmm, are there any essential package pairs (or trios, or whatevers) that
*must* be installed in the same dpkg run? IIRC, during the upgrade to
libc6, there was. Is that a potential future problem for apt?

Steve