Re: Suggestion: Skip Slink!

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 03:54:24PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 03:41:16PM -0500, Avery Pennarun wrote:
>
> > What I should have said was: it's nice to have a sparc port, but sparc isn't
> > important enough to hold up the i386 release and especially not important

[...]

> As somebody that has run Debian on at least two non-i386 platforms, I feel
> justly offended by your attitude and the attitue of those like you that
> consider non-i386 Debian distributions second-class citizens somehow.  There
> is no logical reason for this distinction.  The Linux kernel supports my
> Alpha in 64-bit mode as well as, if not better than, your i386 in 32-bit
> mode.  If you are talking about technical merit, I'm sure most will tell you
> that i386 is at or near the bottom of the heap, not the top.  So please,
> don't get this "high and mighty i386" attitude.

Well said. I've had to put up with enough of this as an Amiga owner, but I
thought that one of the good things about Unix, the free ones in particular,
was that there wasn't this kind of attitude towards non-i386 people that is
so evident in other places. It doesn't matter that arch I have - I know that
since it runs Linux, it will run any software that I want, just as well as
on i386 or any other system.

As a side note, it is only incidental that Unix can run on i386 CPU's. It
wasn't designed on one, or for one, and most high-powered Unix servers don't
run i386 at all, but some other, better arch. So, why should the release of
my arch's Debian be delayed, just because _your's_ is ready for release?

Heh, I hate to think what would have happened if he'd said that to the NetBSD
people.

--
If I had any humility I would be perfect.
		-- Ted Turner