Re: 2.0.36 in slink, so isdnutils should go in as well!

On Wed 06 Jan 1999, Steve Greenland wrote:
> On 06-Jan-99, 07:25 (CST), Roland Rosenfeld <roland@spinnaker.rhein.de> wrote:
> > Another choice would be to rename the 2.* package to isdnutils2 and
> > name the 3.* package isdnutils. But this also isn't very intuitive :-(
>
> I'd like to discourage this. I was really annoyed when ncftp suddenly
> became an incomplete beta, and I had to search around and find ncftp2.
> (I'm not saying that isdnutils 3.* is an incomplete beta, but if it is
> incompatible in a major way, then calling it the same thing will annoy a
> bunch of folks. And if you blow away the ability to use the isdn line,
> fixing the problem may be a major PITA.)

I understand your concern, however, the old version is actually a beta
(the complete version number is 2.1.beta1-27).  The new 3.0-8 version
should be at least as usable as the old version (there were some nits
in the earlier 3.0 versions, but that was more the fault of my packaging
than of the original source; those are all fixed as far as I can tell,
thanks to all the folks that tested the 3.0 versions!)

Anything that happens to go wrong anyway should be fixable quickly.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands