Re: 2.0.36 in slink, so isdnutils should go in as well!

On Wed 06 Jan 1999, Roland Rosenfeld wrote:
> Paul Slootman <paul@debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Anyway, this means that isdnutils _must_ also be upgraded. I've
> > contemplated making an isdnutils3 package that could go next to the
> > existing version, but I don't think that direction is where we want
> > to go (I hate packages suddenly changing names, which also means
> > it's hard to reuse the old name; besides, the old package is based
> > on a source almost 2 years old now).
>
> So here's a completely different idea: I tried out your 3.* package
> when I was still using Kernel 2.0.34. The only problem with this was
> the isdnctrl program, all other programs worked without any problems.

I'd be interested to know what exactly went wrong, as on my tests
the new isdnctrl works fine (it does display a message that it
detected an old kernel, but that shouldn't be a problem; that's why
the new device.xxx script has "|| true" added to the end of the
"isdnctrl dialmode" line.

> So I simply renamed your isdnctrl to isdnctrl-2.0.36 and installed the
> old 2.* isdnctrl instead. This worked like a charm with the old kernel
> and I only had to change /etc/isdn/device.* to use "isdnctrl status
> on" instead of "isdnctrl dialmode auto". So maybe there is some chance

Hang on, that isn't an isdnctrl from the old isdnutils-2.1.beta1 package;
that didn't have dialmode _or_ status; only the CVS versions had that...

> to create a package which is based on isdnutils-3.0 but which includes
> a second isdnctrl binary that works with the old kernels. And extend

Again, this should not be necessary. Perhaps if you were also running
some version of the CVS kernel code for ISDN there might be some
problem, but standard debian kernels never needed the "isdnctrl status"
command.

> > So, I'll upload a new version of isdnutils to go into "frozen
> > unstable" this week,
>
> When we do this, we should remove
> kernel-{doc,headers,image,source}-2.0.{33,34,35} from slink.

That's going a bit far, I think, and not necessary IMO.

Paul Slootman
--
home: paul@wurtel.demon.nl | work: paul@murphy.nl | debian: paul@debian.org
http://www.wurtel.demon.nl | Murphy Software,   Enschede,   the Netherlands