Re: dpkg-logger 1.0.5

On Sat, 2 Jan 1999, Ben Collins wrote:

  [NON-Text Body part not included]

Blah, evil pine.

Anyhow.. I'm not entirely sure I like the use of syslog for logging. In
fact I'm pretty sure I don't like it. It would make more sense for logging
to be under control of the invoking GUI so the log could be siphoned off
and displayed in real time if the user wished.

I also don't like that the caller has to specify the package name explicy,
it would make much more sense if that was deduced automatically (hax0r
dpkg?) and would allow common scripts such as update-alternatives to have
sensible log messages, and considering those scripts generate quite the
amount of output that sounds important.

Jason