Re: dpkg.log reworked

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 10:46:59PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:
> No, dpkg-log should. The user could set e.g to_screen=yes in
> /etc/deb-log.conf or in an environment variable or such. This is a
> better solution. The user can still see the messages, but he
> additionally has control over the process how they are handled.

There is no way that the log util could know every little detail that
needs to be outputed. Also there is still the need even for interactive
installs to log to a file. Only the package maintainer would know what
needs to be sent to the screen and what needs to be logged, there is no
one-size-fits-all solution. With this setup the package could also do
both, output to stdout and to the loging mechanism.

I think the only drawback right now (that wichert pointed out) is when
the package programs do implement non-interactive installs then all the
scripts will need to be resetup again. I think the solution to this is
to not require the packages to comply until that feature is implemented.

This would allow large packages such as XFree to hold off and do both at
once while smaller packages, that only have one or 2 lines to log, can be
done now to work out the bugs in the system. It would not be too far fetched
for this to be stable, implemented and well used once potato is frozen.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org