Re: dpkg.log reworked

On Fri, Jan 01, 1999 at 09:37:06PM +0100, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "WA" == Wichert Akkerman <wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl> writes:
>
> >> One thing I also see in the future for this is if dpkg and friends
> >> implement a non-interactive process for install, then when the packages
> >> check for this type of install it could make decisions on where and
> >> what to output messages to.
>
> WA> I hope that future is not too far away, and I would hate to ask
> WA> developers to modify all their postinst's twice..
>
> With the dpkg-log layer, one can dump any output to it, and it would
> find out, if it is in a interactive install and write the comments to
> screen on its own.
>
> You just have to change one packgage to implement this, not all. This
> is prefarable :-)

The package should decide whether or not it goes to stdout or syslog
(it may want both). I don't see why dpkg-log couldn't be a logger
wrapper so that any new logging method could simply add an alternative
to that wrapper. Similar to how update-rc.d is replaced when file-rc is
installed.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org