Re: dpkg.log reworked

Previously Ben Collins wrote:
> Ok, here's how I see it working (the almighty master plan ;)

Simpler version:
#!/bin/sh
# postinst (preinst, etc...) for package foo-dev

# package related stuff

log_stuff() {
	echo $@ | logger -p local6.info -t "pkg:foo-dev"
}

log_stuff "
Package foo-dev may need some configuring before you can use it too
full potential"

if [ some test ]
then
    echo "There was a problem with blah blah, you need to edit it manually"
    log_stuff "There was a problem with blah blah, you need to edit it manually"
fi
# end postinst

> One thing I also see in the future for this is if dpkg and friends
> implement a non-interactive process for install, then when the packages
> check for this type of install it could make decisions on where and
> what to output messages to.

I hope that future is not too far away, and I would hate to ask
developers to modify all their postinst's twice..

Wichert.

E-Mail: wakkerma@cs.leidenuniv.nl