Re: Package maintainer script policy.

Guy Maor <maor@ece.utexas.edu> wrote:
> It uses execlp.

Yep, I should have looked that up.

> Have you guys nothing better to do with your time?

Yep, otherwise I would have looked that up.

> The postinst is a C program because it should be as robust as
> possible. If that postinst does not run, especially after you've just
> upgraded libc, your system is dead. I don't want to depend on perl or
> anything else.

The postinst is not statically linked, so if the libc upgrade didn't
go right it still won't run.

Also, if /bin/sh has stopped working (or, more generally, if libc
has stopped working) the installation run would typically die long
before this libreadlineg2.postinst script would be run.

--
Raul