Re: POSIX shell; bash ash pdksh & /bin/sh

On 4 Aug 1998, Manoj Srivastava wrote:

> Hi,
> >>"Marcus" == Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
>  Marcus> I think if you request bash as your shell, you should only do
>  Marcus> it when you use bash features that are non-posix.  And then,
>  Marcus> yes, I think you should be aware of it and only do it when it
>  Marcus> is really necessary.
>
> 	Why? Why should I only do it if only necesary? Why am I free
>  to choose lesstif or slang or newt or whiptail, but when it comes to
>  a shell, the proprietary police shall jump on me?
>
> 	Give me one technical reason for asking me to do so.
>
>  Marcus> One shouldn't just put #!/bin/bash at the top of a script
>  Marcus> without thinking.
>
> 	Why ot? Why can I choose between C and C++ and java, and not
>  have the freedom to choose bash?

Of course.

I personally do not advocate any attempt to make bash non-essential.

But, I definitely would advocate an effort to make it possible to use
another shell as #!/bin/sh.  The reason I believe this to be a good thing
is that (apparently) many other shells are faster than bash, and that
using a faster shell would significantly speed rc?.,d scripts and cron
scripts, which, on a slower machine, would pleasantly improve system
start-up time.  So, to summarise, I suggest:

1) bash remains essential.  All scripts which begin '#!/bin/bash' continue
to function as expected.

2) However, we consider moving the /bin/sh link to the update-alternatives
mechanism, or similar.  This means that someone has to try running with
/bin/sh as (for example) ash or pdksh, and file bugs against any packages
which provide scripts which turn out to rely on bash semantics, but do not
have #!/bin/bash lines.  At the package maintainer's option, then, they
either modify their scripts to explicitly invoke bash, or they stop using
any bashisms.

3) As a veru much less important point, people keep their eyes out for
scripts which needlessly invoke /bin/bash when they don't actually uyse
bashisms.

(Apologies for typing errors - this is a slow link, and I can't be
bothered to keep moving the cursor around...)

Jules