Re: Package maintainer script policy.

Hi,

 Raul> Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
 >> We are talking about a general policy here; and I do not think
 >> we can make ad hoc generalizations about quality control like this. I
 >> am not willing to vote for a draconian policy proscribing binaries in
 >> postinst based on shaky grounds like this.
 >>
 >> Are there better reasons?

 Raul> Did you miss that by examining the object code of that postinst script
 Raul> I found that it violated policy (does not respect $PATH when calling
 Raul> ldconfig)?

	This is a particular example, and moreever, one that is not
 correct, as has been pointed out. One does not make policy based on
 one (flawed) example.

 Raul> However, I also argue that scripts which use /bin/sh or /usr/bin/perl
 Raul> are easier to maintain (and audit, and get working right) than C code.

	Depends on the person coding it. If you do not know perl/
 shell scripting, but are a C guru, things can be cvery
 different. Nothing that deserves to go into the policy so far.

 Raul> I'd argue that that a dynamically linked executable has *NO* reliability
 Raul> advantage over a script.  Both can be knocked out if the libraries they
 Raul> need are not present.

	OK. But no disadvantage either. Again, nothing to base a policy
 of exclusion on.

 Raul> So what we have here is one package which introduces extra complexity
 Raul> and bulk for no gain.  And, by the way, it's buggy, but this is not
 Raul> immediately obvious from looking at it because of this extra complexity
 Raul> and bulk.

	You are still talking particulars. Yes, a postinst may be
 buggy, script or exec. Nothing can be generalized from that
 statement. (Is this the same bug that turns out not to be a bug? Or
 something else?). Again, nothing to base a policy decision on.

 Raul> How good of a reason do you need?

	Any good, general reason would do. I have found none in this
 message.

        If I find a bug in a C program, I don't go asking for a policy
 to exclude all C programs from the system. How is what you are asking
 any different, as far as this message goes?

	manoj
--
 "Let's not be too tough on our own ignorance.  It's the thing that
 makes America great.  If America weren't incomparably ignorant, how