Re: Package maintainer script policy.

Manoj Srivastava <srivasta@datasync.com> wrote:
>  Raul> The differences are frequency of use, and need.
>
> 	Excuse me?
>  Case 1) The postinst is binary, and can't be checked a priori
>  Case 2) The postinst is a shell script that calls a binary included
>          in the package, which again is not checkable easily.
>
> 	Where does frequency of use and need come into the picture?

In the specific case of libreadline, the postinst is used far less
often than the library.  This has rather obvious implications for
quality control.

A similar property holds, in fact, for most cases where some binary
would be used in the postinst -- especially for high priority packages.

This is not to say that there are not other differences, and I'm
sorry that I implied this.

--
Raul