Re: A project to provide a nicer GUI for installing debian ?

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@earthlink.net> writes:

> That assumes SCSI and really does it the hard way.  It seems much easier and

It the easiest way and it doesnt need a zip to work. One could go
through all available partitions to find the right one, so people
could just copy the rescue stuff to a DOS partition. Also one could
check for the zip and otherwise ask for a partition.

> faster to just read the veodor ID.  Also, once the Zip is found, you can
> mount the zip as /, but I think that I'll likely not be doing that.

Nope, the ide zip runs as scsi emulation, so it will also be /dev/sdx4.

> > There no difference between scsi zip and parallel I think. Both use
> > the 4th partition by default. (parallel zips are recognised as /dev/sdx4)
>
> But IDE Zip is like /dev/hdb4..  And I don't even KNOW what PC-Card Zip
> would be, but once I get others working I'll incorporate them if people
> gimmie info  =>

Ukrs, yes. Well, include hda4 hdb4 hdc4 hdd4 in the script. :)

> > > The point is simplification for the user, especially the NEW user.
> >
> > For the m68k I made it come down to inserting the CD into an Amiga,
> > clicking at the icon, waiting and saying yes to "Do you want to run
> > the demo mode?". Thats simplicity. :)
>
> I wish PC hardware was so simple as Amiga hardware..  <sigh>  YEARS later,
> and the Amiga is still more advanced in many ways.

Yep. :) Alos X runs on Framebuffer. No config needed. :)

On a PC one would have to autoboot from CD or start linux.bat from dos
or linux.pif from win95. Not that much harder.
The important think is that no quetions ar ask except when realy
neccessary (like if a Network is needed and what IP to use).

> My Zip install profile will include slightly different selections to
> accomidate the size differences.  I'm less concerned with live filesystem
> demos on CD's than I am with live filesystem rescue.  Though really I can
> see many reasons to have a demo CD image handy to get people addicted to
> Linux in general real quick and without the repartitioning pain.

Once you have a rescue system, including some goodies like xbill and
others is just a matter of space. And having them on a demo filesystem
doesn't hurd the rescue idea. The demo system provides that too.

May the Source be with you.
			Mrvn