Re: A project to provide a nicer GUI for installing debian ?

On Fri, Jul 03, 1998 at 11:10:40AM -0400, Ben Pfaff wrote:
>    One can use a lifefilesystem on CD and a ramdisk (or loopback on a
> 		 ^ live?

yes

[..]

> Now that's actually the only cool and original idea I've seen come out
> of this thread.  Has anyone started working on this?

There was a couple messages about live filesystems and other exotic and
non-traditional methods of running Debian on -user.  I'm investigating a Zip
disk-based super-rescue disk and will be happy to share my experience found
with building that with a project to do the same kind of thing for a CD-ROM.
It's a little harder since one is a RW media with enough space but not lots
of it and the other is media with lots of space and none of it writable.

This would cost about 100 megs to have all the X servers installed I
suspect.  Do we really want that much?  Maybe we should consider a 2.2.x
solution and build it around GGI?  Libggi can already run many places
including the newest 2.1.x kernels' fbcon (which broke the kernels nicely,
but of course will be fixed..)  Under GGI you'd need one X server and the
config of the whole thing is lots easier.

I don't think we want to change the whole installation for slink do we?  I'd
rather it wait for 3.0 personally where we'll likely have things like glibc
2.1 and GGI to make things a little cleaner and easier (for users and
developers!)  If I had to configure X just to install Debian I'd have not
tried to install Debian.  I had Debian installed in a couple hours.  It was
3 months before I got X figured out enough to install it and I still can't
effectively use it because of the font sizes.