UMSDOS [was: GNUnification]

Hi!

 MW> UMSDOS is a hideous system.  I'm currently working on code which
 MW> will allow Linux to drop support for it altogether.  Basically,
 MW> it's far superior to use a file on an MS-DOS filesystem as a
 MW> device on which you create an ext2 filesystem.

Excellent!

As soon as the Hurd has even a plain-vanilla FAT filesystem, this will
be possible.  (Every Hurd filesystem already can use a file on another
filesystem as if it was the raw device.)  However, there are still
reasons to have something like UMSDOS, so that DOS users can read
files that they created under the Hurd.

I envision a single filesystem server for FAT filesystems,
`/hurd/fatfs', which will support several `--compat=' options:

   dos        no filesystem extensions, not even long names
   vfat       Windows95 long file names
   umsdos     compatibility with Linux UMSDOS
   hurd       use full Hurd semantics

I trust that Thomas will do it well, even if it is a total rewrite.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
 Free information, free yourself. \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)

Copyright (C) 1998 FIG; the creator offers you this gift and wants it to
remain free.  See http://www.fig.org/freedom.html for details.
  This work is copylefted and may be copied, modified and distributed
  under the GNU General Public License (GPL); it comes with absolutely
  NO WARRANTY.  See http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html.