Re: GNUnification

Thomas Bushnell, n/BSG

>    Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 18:09:54 -0400
>    From: Raul Miller <rdm@test.legislate.com>
>
>    One caution: umsdos (which provides for unix-like operations under a
>    dos file system) is buggy, and these bugs are not likely to be fixed.
>
>    In particular, there's problems with multiply linked files and renaming
>    directories.
>
>    Multiply linked files are implemented with a cannonical name, and
>    if a directory in the path to the canonical instance of the file changes,
>    all hardlinks to that file break.
>
> This is true; in the Hurd version of umsdos I plan to prohibit hard
> links entirely; there's just no other way.  (Simulating hard links
> with symlinks, which essentially what the Linux umsdos does, is
> totally wrong IMHO.)

UMSDOS is a hideous system.  I'm currently working on code which will
allow Linux to drop support for it altogether.  Basically, it's far
superior to use a file on an MS-DOS filesystem as a device on which you
create an ext2 filesystem.  Hopefully I can sneak this code in under
the 2.1 codefreeze (since UMSDOS has major problems in the development
kernels) but I've been far too busy recently.

UMSDOS: Just Say No.

--
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox