Re: UMSDOS [was: GNUnification]

Gordon Matzigkeit

> Hi!

>  MW> UMSDOS is a hideous system.  I'm currently working on code which
>  MW> will allow Linux to drop support for it altogether.  Basically,
>  MW> it's far superior to use a file on an MS-DOS filesystem as a
>  MW> device on which you create an ext2 filesystem.
>
> Excellent!
>
> As soon as the Hurd has even a plain-vanilla FAT filesystem, this will
> be possible.  (Every Hurd filesystem already can use a file on another
> filesystem as if it was the raw device.)  However, there are still
> reasons to have something like UMSDOS, so that DOS users can read
> files that they created under the Hurd.

I think you mean msdosfs rather than UMSDOS there..

I think the HURD bootsequence may need extending to cope with installing
without repartitioning.  You need to start up a msdos translator on
/dev/hd0.  Then you need to run an ext2 translator, and start init,
telling it that /hurd is actually /.  This shouldn't be too hard.

Yes, I know it's slow, but there are a lot of people who'll _try_
a system if it just means sacrificing some disc space.  I know this,
I've done two shows now on an ARMLinux stand and the most FAQ is `can
I install it without partitioning the drive yet'.

> I envision a single filesystem server for FAT filesystems,
> `/hurd/fatfs', which will support several `--compat=' options:
>
>    dos        no filesystem extensions, not even long names
>    vfat       Windows95 long file names
>    umsdos     compatibility with Linux UMSDOS
>    hurd       use full Hurd semantics

I don't see the point of being able to install on a FAT filesystem.  It
will be slower and will only lead to pain.  Accept foreign filesystems
for what they are - foreign, and with different characteristics to your
own.  Their only real use is as a transfer medium.

--
Set Alias$Case Set Alias$[ |||| |MSet Alias$Otherwise Set Alias$[ \ Matthew
"" |MSet Alias$When If %0=%%0 Then Set Alias$[ "" ||MIf %0=%%0    \ Wilcox