Re: RFD : libg++/gcc/egcs upgrades needed for libc6

On Sun, Feb 08, 1998 at 01:55:54PM -0700, Galen Hazelwood wrote:
> jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl wrote:
> > Both egcs's cpp and gcc 2.8's cpp have problems that show up with
> > imake-generated Makefiles (#17307). These will have to be solved before
> > we move away from gcc 2.7.2.3 as the standard compiler.
>
> So I've heard.  Unfortunately, there's not a lot I can do about this
> directly.  I'll browse the egcs list archives and see if anybody has
> mentioned this.  For all I know, this is a feature, not a bug.  :-P

If it is a feature, then I'd like to see the rationale.  A lot of X-based
software cannot be built with 2.8's cpp.

> > I did the non-maintainer release of 2.8.0 in experimental.  I agree that
> > in the current situation, egcc is the preferred compiler. I do think
> > however we should have a gcc 2.8.0 package available, and encourage
> > maintainers to test their packages against it. Given the problems,
> > experimental is probably the best location.
>
> I've just now uploaded the new egcs package, which provides our standard
> gcc/g77 compilers.  Remember that gcc 2.8.0 is the second-class citizen
> now; take that into account when making a new experimental package.
> You'll have to rename the binaries in /usr/bin (gcc28 perhaps?) and set
> the /etc/alternatives priority lower than 20.  (Take note of bug #17468.)

I'm not planning to do a new release soon as I'm currently busy with the
LessTif bugs reported. I hope you will.

> Since I don't have (and have no intention of installing) dejagnus on my
> system, I couldn't test any "test" target I added to debian/rules.  If you
> want to run the test, just cd to builddir and type "make test" or
> whatever.  Is that really so hard?

No, it isn't. However, (e)gcc is a critical component in building packages.
My reason for wanting a full bootstrap and a direct test is to try to
discover bugs in (e)gcc as soon as possible, preferably before other
packages are built with is.

Ray
--
PATRIOTISM  A great British writer once said that if he had to choose
between betraying his country and betraying a friend he hoped he would