Re: possible new official mirror in the US

On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 11:54:54PM +0000, Mark Baker wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 1998 at 01:21:18PM -0500, Will Lowe wrote:
>
> > come up with ways of keeping track of other mirrors in countries that
> > don't have states -- like,  for instance,  ftp.london.uk.debian.org vs
> > ftp.liverpool.uk.debian.org if there were two in the uk.
>
> That would be silly. What country a site is in has some effect on the speed;
> within a country the location has no effect whatsoever. On the other hand,
> whose network the site is on makes a difference; something like
> ftp.demon.uk.debian.org / ftp.xara.uk.debian.org would be sensible names.

Eh? I cannot see why the location within a country is irrelevant.
>From here bandwidth is not the same to every .au site, believe me!

ftp.au.debian.org is on the other side of the country, in the West.
Our two largest cities are both on the East; the west is quite isolated.
Right now ping time to ftp.au.debian.org is over 2 seconds.

Strangely enough, ftp.debian.org.au is actually ftp.debian.org,
and I can get there is 385 ms.

To complicate things, I can get to ftp.uwa.edu.au,
which is also in the west, in < 100ms.

At present we have one major backbone provider, our original phone
company. This will change, but right now, just because a site is connected
via them doesn't say anything about the bandwidth.

hamish