Re: Summary of Package Overlaps

On Fri, 6 Feb 1998, Santiago Vila wrote:

> > > There should be no libc5-dev in hamm.  Dale wanted to use the
> > > identical source for hamm and bo-updates, but that doesn't work very
> > > well.
> >
> > Can you 'splain? The current libc5-dev works fine on bo systems and is
> > replaced properly by libc6-dev on a hamm machine, so where is the problem?
>
> I think the problem is that there should be no libc5-dev *in hamm*.
> We have already libc5-altdev...

I understand your POV. I had the problem of needing to get the same libc5
into both bo and hamm. The -dev package needed to go into bo as well, I
knew I didn't need the package to go into hamm, but since the distribution
target can only be declared in the debian/changelog, I was left with
little choice.

While I agree that there is no reason to have the package in hamm

(and Guy should feel free to remove it if he sees fit. I don't expect
another libc5 version until after the release of 2.0 {unless someone finds
a terrible bug, of course})

it should do no real harm, since all the libc6 stuff conflicts with it, so
it will not get installed, and if a user mistakenly installes it, it will
go away as soon as the user attempts to install the libc6 counterpart.

Waiting is,

Dwarf
--
_-_-_-_-_-_-   Author of "The Debian User's Guide"    _-_-_-_-_-_-_-