Re: lintian -- detecting hundrets of bugs within seconds...

Hi,
	[I really tried to keep out of this]

>>"Christian" == Christian Hudon <chrish@debian.org> writes:

Christian> [1 <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>] On Monday, February 02,
Christian> Juergen Menden wrote
>>  please drop python. might be a great language, superiour to perl
>> in every way one can think of. but we all have to use perl already,
>> it's not only on the base disks, it's even used in lintian! and i
>> don't have the space to install another big language.

Christian> Please drop perl and use C. C programs don't even *need* an
Christian> interpreter taking up space on the hard drive... and even
Christian> perl is written in C! :-)

	This is not an pissing contest. Interpreted languages, both
 Perl and python, make it far easier to rapidly prototype code, and
 even to write stable products in. Rejecting either in favour of C
 merely shows you have no grasp of the concepts being debated here.

Christian> We can't force developers to install lots of packages, but
Christian> we can force them to install a few. And it's not like
Christian> python-base is very big:

	Yes; but the point is that we already have perl-base in
 Debian, and it is essintial; python base need not be installed.

	I think it would indeed be better if lintian (as well as any
 other package) minimized the dependencies. But it is, after all, your
 package, and your decision; I just object to the reasons being
 given.

	manoj

--
 I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous. Graffiti