Re: Linux 2.0.36 in slink?

Joseph Carter <knghtbrd@debian.org> writes:

> Under the proposed change, most people who don't want the bleeding edge
> would run pre-release, many of them with a few (or a great many,
> depending) packages from unstable.  The way I see this implemented best
> would be with apt and having distribution tags.  Instead of a list of
> sources for package files period, it's given a list of dists and the
> sources to package files for that dist.  You then have a setting for
> which dists you upgrade packages in automatically.  Most of us would have
> "stable, pre-release" in that, though some of us might have something
> probably like "stable, pre-release, local, kde, mozilla-cvs-weekly" for
> example.

We shouldn't encourage too many people to run pre-release, assuming
its stability is about the same as frozen's stability.  The reason
frozen is not upgraded to stable is because it has not been tested.
In fact, the first few weeks after frozen is created, frozen is often
*very* unstable, with many broken packages upgraded regularly.

--
Kevin Dalley
kevind@rahul.net