default umask

On Sun, Dec 20, 1998 at 03:42:41PM +1100, Brian May wrote:
> IMHO, it should be possible to specify a global setting that works
> with ALL shells. Otherwise, the system administrator has to modify
> each shell individually.

But as long as we don't have a uniform solution ...

/etc% grep -i umask * 2>/dev/null
csh.login:umask 022
login.defs:# Enable setting of ulimit, umask, and niceness from passwd gecos
field.
login.defs:#    UMASK           Default "umask" value.
login.defs:UMASK                022
profile:umask 002
zprofile:umask 002

This is on an almost up-to-date frozen system.  Should I file bugs?  On
which packages?

There is nothing in policy on this.  Should there be?

Andrew

Please cc: -policy postings to me.

--
"Finally, nongeeks will get to use something that geeks take for granted:
software that works right."